Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Several years ago, I had a guy interested in me that I had absolutely NO interest in! I had heard things about him from close friends and family about his "nerd-like" qualities among other things. Of course, every time he had the opportunity to be around me, he was always trying to make conversation with me. I told one of my sisters that he was like a piece of gum stuck on the bottom of your shoe - you just couldn't get rid of him. Well, I'll have you know that I have been "happily stuck" to Kevin now for nearly four years - and he hasn't gone away thankfully. (Can someone insert "never say never" here?) This Thursday, Kevin and I will have been married for four years. I don't want to sound like every other married person who blogs. I get so amused at people's postings on their anniversary and how they go on and on and they all sound similar but I am going to do that myself. There are three things that stand out in my mind when I think about our relationship. The first thing is conversation. That was the first indication that maybe we could get along. When I first agreed to start communicating with Kevin, we discovered that we could talk for hours and hours and have intelligent, interesting conversations. To this day, Kevin is better about communicating than I am. When he asks about my day, he really wants to hear all the details and he openly shares his thoughts and feelings with me. I know that I am really fortunate in that aspect. The second thing I love about our relationship is that we love doing stuff together. That might sound like a given but let me explain. Kevin liked to golf before we got married. Rather than just finding a group of guys to go with, he thought it would be fun for me to learn. I can't really say that I have learned completely how to play yet but we have so much fun when we go golfing together. I've gotten Kevin interested in racquetball and tennis and we are very competitive with each other in that. There are so many things like that. We can go to the mall, play sports, sit around on our computers or do any number of things and just have a blast being together. We have so many common hobbies and interests that have actually developed MORE since we have been married instead of waning like so often happens. The third thing is laughing together. I don't care if you have a dry sense of humor, a corny sense of humor, a weird sense of humor etc., if you have someone that shares your same sense of humor, you've got a close friend. I love that about us. So... I know it's not your typical "he's the greatest man,he's so blah, blah, blah" but it is my most sincere feelings about our marriage.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Yes, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! =)