Friday, July 4, 2008

Fireworks Fun!

We met Rachel, John, and John's mom in Stuart to watch fireworks. We got there a little more than 2 hours before they started so we were able to "claim a spot". John's mom had brought some picnic stuff so we munched on fried chicken, chips & dip, mac. & cheese, pork-n-beans, and cookies. As it got darker I got out a bunch of glow sticks I had bought at the dollar tree a couple of years ago. We were quite entertained trying to get them together and get them to work (as were several people around us). We had enough extra to give to a couple of other little kids around us. A couple of them were defective (not the kids-the glow sticks) but we lived through it. :) Poor Kay-Kay was SO scared of the noise but she wanted to see the fireworks. She had a death grip on Rach and Rach was covering her ears. She laid her head on Rachel's shoulder but she still turned where she could watch them. The fireworks display was great and Kevin got some pretty cool pictures even though my camera is pretty basic. After the fireworks were over, we just hung out for a bit. I said, "Hey, if we are going to sit for 30 minutes, I would rather sit out here where it is pleasant than in the car in traffic." I got out sparklers I had brought - guess who had the most fun with those? If you guessed the child in our midst you guessed incorrectly. John and Kevin each HAD to light a whole box at a time. But at 8 boxes for $2, I didn't figure it mattered that much. They were like, "[Ha, ha, ha] That's burning my hand a little bit. I know it! Those things have a little bite. [ha, ha, ha] Okay, we're ready for the next boxes." The pictures aren't great. They wanted us to take pictures of them but then they had to wave their arms all around and move around so much that in the dark like that, the cameras had a hard time focusing. By the time we gathered stuff up and got back to our car, we didn't have to wait in traffic at all. The weather was surprisingly pleasant (for July in Florida) and thankfully the rain showers from earlier in the day went away so it was really nice! Happy birthday America!


The fireworks were set off from a barge on the water
so it was pleasant scenery even before the fireworks.


Kevin and his glow-sticks. We had several people
around us laughing.


This was actually practice. Kevin was trying to
figure out what to set my camera on before the
fireworks started so he thought trying to get a
picture of the glow-sticks might help him.


Nice shot by Kevin.


Kevin discovered that he could get people in the
bottom of the frame and the fireworks in the top
of the frame on the camera - pretty cool!


So then... we switched places and John took one
of us. We tried one with Kay in between us but
she was too terrified to lift her head up.


I saw a lot of fireworks (kinds) that I don't think
I've ever seen before.




John and his mom went to get ice cream from a
"Kilwin's" stand nearby. They had heard me tell
Kevin (when he asked me if I wanted ice cream)
that I didn't want ice cream but the caramel apples
sure looked good so Marie bought me one. It was
the best one I have ever had (the caramel was so
thick and tasted so good!)


Sparkler time - trying to get 5 (for each of them) lit at
one time. (The lights in the background are street lights
along the water and pier.)


(I don't know how to do an emoticon for shaking your head)


My husband


This was the funniest thing - Rach was eating (& feeding to
Kay-Kay) chocolate ice cream and Kay-Kay said, "Yook, I
see chotlate ice cream." Rach looked down and Kay had
chocolate running down her forehead into her eye and
down her chin. It looked so funny - like she was painted
for Halloween.


the chocolate monster

1 comment:

Betty said...

Love the chocolate monster look! I just love the carmel apples from Kilwins. You must try the turtle apples. They are quite yummy! Kilwins has the best apples and they will cut them up for you. Makes them a whole lot easier to eat. Glad you had a great time!