Friday, June 20, 2008

Vacation log - we're off - 1:30 p.m.

We left Hobe Sound on our journey to Tennessee today around 1:30. I am going to post the first part of our trip. Isn't technology wonderful? (Thanks Rod and Betty for loaning us your wireless card!) Kevin spent about 30 minutes longer than he thought he would have to before we left this afternoon installing the software on my computer. I felt really badly about putting us that much later all so I could fool around with my computer until a few hours up the road when we got a flat tire. Yeah, I don't know WHAT it is with us and tires. (Refer back to my blog about our last trip a few weeks ago to Orlando when we had a flat tire). It wasn't my car this time though. We are borrowing Rod and Betty's mini van (thanks for loaning us your van too Rod and Betty!). We noticed the van had started shaking badly. We were trying to get to the next exit because we thought it might be the tire. Then... the tire blew! Kevin had already started slowing down a little bit but we were still in the left lane. He handled it perfectly and we never swerved or anything. We were able to move over two lanes quickly and rolled (bumped) off to the side of an exit ramp. At least we were alongside the exit rather than along side the traffic flying by on I-95. Triple A sent a tow truck but the guy ended up just putting the spare on for us. Our plan only covers the first five miles and then it's $5/mile. We couldn't see paying $50 just to get towed 10 miles. We went up 10 miles (after using the internet to find the nearest Tire Kingdom) and were able to get the tire replaced for very little because it was under warranty with them. We went back behind the garage where it was shady (as in not too sunny) and pleasant and we could let Kaelyn run around. Other than putting us another few hours later than we wanted to be, it all turned out okay. Kevin said, "Now I'm glad we had the wireless card". The crazy thing about this wireless card is - my pictures are uploading faster to my blog than they usually do at home. When we finally got back on the road Kevin said, "Well, we're starting out all over again." I said, "At least we're 3 hours further than we were when we started last time". A few other things we were thankful for besides God's protection: it wasn't raining though it started sprinkling for a bit literally 3 minutes after we finally got back on the interstate; we were able to look up the info. we needed on my computer; it wasn't late in the day this time so we didn't have to wait too long for Triple A and we didn't have trouble finding a place open like last time; I had cold drinks (non-alcoholic) :) and snacks in the van. It's much easier to deal with something like that when you have ways to fix the problem (as opposed to late at night).



Kay-Kay fell asleep not too far into the
trip. She only woke up because of all the
jerking and bumping when the tire went.


Cool flower along the interstate


Kay-Kay with her flower.


The tire - I think it was ripped up about more than
any flat tire I've had before.


Stranded

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry about the accusation of not giving us the whole story. I guess i just needeed to be patient! Jess