Monday, June 23, 2008

vacation log - we did it!

We went on our hike to the waterfalls this afternoon. All of the info. about it made it sound like a fairly easy hike. It is paved (sort of), it's only slightly over a mile, and it is wheelchair accessible. What the brochures did not tell is that 95 percent of the hike to the falls is uphill - or I should say upmountain. I would hate to think what the harder hikes are like. I thought I was going to have a heart attack on the first major incline - yeah, we are badly out of shape. It was bad enough as it was but we were pushing the stroller with Kaelyn and a bunch of bottles of frozen water in it. At one point, we stopped to take a breather and drink some water. Kaelyn was sitting in her stroller saying, "Okay, come on. Let's go everyone." I said, "Yeah, easy for you to say!" These ladies coming down were laughing and laughing. The falls was not big but it was kind of cool because you could walk right up to the lower part of it and splash around in it. After we left there, we had a picnic lunch. We were exhausted when we got back this afternoon. After resting for a bit, Kevin grilled some steaks and we had dinner outside (of course very pleasant). Kay got to play on the playground again and we did some bubbles. I have been trying to load pictures to my blog off and on for a couple hours this evening. I don't know why they wouldn't go through for awhile but they finally did so here I am up late again blogging. Kevin got some really good pictures on his camera too. It's a better camera but because the pics. were taken at 12 megapixels I don't know if I will be able to get them on here. If so, maybe I will just make a slideshow.



Kay-Kay and I (the water was freezing as you can
imagine!)




This is the higher part of the falls. It was
the lower parts that we splashed around in.


Kevin's camera has some much better
pics. of Kaelyn.

Kevin didn't want to get in the water. I'll
let you harrass him about why (because
I don't know).

Kay stood on this [very slippery] rock and
was singing and yelling.

This pic. is terrible as far as light but
it was very difficult because w/out flash
there were shadows and with was too bright.
We tried several different settings and
couldn't seem to get a good one.

This was on the way back down. (No, this
isn't what the trail was like. I climbed up on
these rocks)

Forgive the boring photo but I just love the
dogwood bushes and there are tons of them
here. They are so pretty and smell so good!


5 comments:

Aimee said...

I've been following your mini vacation this weekend and it sounds like you guys had LOADS of fun! I'm not sure your luck is all that good, but at least you have found humor in it.

I LOVE hiking! I've hiked some in the Adirondacks of the 46ers. No paved trails there. I found out real quick how out of shape I Was! Hope to be going back there soon!

Nice pics even if they aren't Kevin's =)

The Taylors said...

Kay-Kay just looks like she is havign a blast! How is she doing with this trip?
In case you're interested, my "word" looks like someone misspelled ketchup today! :-p

Betty said...

I am wanting to go to TN now. I love the nice water streams. We had one right out back of our condo we stayed in there years ago. How about you guys fly back and we will fly up and stay a week and drive back? I haven't been there for about 5 yrs, Im getting the itch to go now! Looks like your having fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks like loads of fun.That is one of the places I can't believe I have never been and am dying to go to.

Hostess said...

Sorry, but these don't look like dogwood to me. (I'm not POSITIVE because the picture is not clear; but the leaves certainly aren't dogwood, and double flowers aren't dogwood. I DID see one blossom that might have been shaped like dogwood and have dogwood petals, so maybe there was a mixture of trees together. Grandfather could tell you absolutely.) I think they're magnolias. (For another thing, magnolias have a wonderful scent that you often notice before you see the tree. If a dogwood has a scent, it isn't nearly as obvious.)