Sunday, June 8, 2008

"Hidden treasure"

Okay, this story is too good to pass up sharing. My cell phone came up missing Friday. I hadn't really been out anywhere Thursday and Friday because we just finished teacher's meetings this past Wednesday morning and so it was kind of nice to just be home. When I mentioned it (my missing phone) to Kevin Friday he said, "It's laying right out on the living room floor." Well, I had cleaned things up Friday and I had not found it. What's more, it had been acting up for a couple of days and when someone would call it would just go straight to my voicemail so I couldn't even get it to ring when I tried calling it from the home phone. Saturday evening, we got ready to go out for dinner and to get groceries and I said, "Oh, I still haven't found my phone." Kevin started trying to call it with his phone. THANKFULLY after a couple of tries, it started ringing through. We walked through every room of the house with Kevin continuously calling my phone. My phone does not ring that softly and I knew I hadn't been out of the house with it since I last used it so we were just baffled. Then all the sudden, I heard it vibrating. Kevin was like "Are you sure?" I was positive that's what I was hearing. I ended up down on my hands and knees trying to follow the sound which I thought was coming from the entertainment center. I thought maybe Kaelyn had dropped it back behind something but as I crawled around I could hear the sound coming from the sub woofer of our surround sound system. We have not used the sub woofer in months because our receiver died on us so we unplugged the rest of the surround sound speakers and stuff. Kevin and I were just shocked. I said, "That has to be where it is." We have seen Kaelyn stick stuff in the front hole of the sub woofer but we thought she always pulled the things back out. You've guessed the punch line now - it was like finding a whole "buried treasure"! (well, a treasure if you are a three year old). We ended up sitting there for probably 20 minutes shaking the sub woofer (not easy considering it's not small or light) and sticking [basically] the tips of our fingers into the hole to pull things out. The last couple of items were particularly difficult. There were 13 items in there in all! There were 2 Jr. Asparagus & 2 Bob the tomato dangly toys (one of each had been bought at some point to replace the original ones she had which had mysteriously disappeared even though we had turned the house upside down looking for them), 1 Larry Boy dangly toy, 4 little people from her Fischer Price Little People sets (she had like a whole family of little people in captivity!), 2 of my old contact holders (which she loves to play with), a Minnie Mouse figurine that she just got last Sunday from her birthday cake, and..... of course, my phone! We just kept shaking our heads in amazement! Somehow, the ringtone on my phone had gotten changed to just vibrating (I'm sure also thanks to her playing with it) but if it had been turned off or the battery had died, we would have never found it or the other objects - at least not any time soon. She was just as pleased as could be when she saw her Veggie Tale toys like she had just gotten new toys. She has gotten past the place where she has to have them everywhere we go (she even used to sleep with them sometimes!) so apparently that's why it wasn't a crisis to her when she dropped them in and couldn't get them back out. But she was excited to get them and play with them. The funniest part - she had Jr. in her hand playing and she turned and was watching us feverishly shake, tip, and pry the sub woofer to get more items out. She said, "Is that Junior Asparagus?" I said, "Yep, that's Junior". Then she said, "Is that swing/slide?" Kevin and I just looked at each other and I said, "NO, IT'S NOT A SLIDE!" That pretty much explained everything though. You have to know Kay-Kay and her odd fascination with pretending inanimate objects are sliding down a swing/slide (as she calls it) to understand that. I have seen her pretending that the oddest objects are sliding down a slide. I've watched her make her Little People "slide" down the roof of their little house many times! Given that fact, I guess I would prefer that she make objects slide down things rather than trying it herself! (And by the way, No, I don't really get the connection between dropping toys into a hole and people going down a slide but that's Kay-Kay for you!)




"The loot"


The hiding spot


Can you believe all that stuff was in there?

6 comments:

Aimee said...

WOW, what a time you had looking for your cell. I know what it's like to call my phone when I can't find it, but can't say my "hunts" are so involved. You were very lucky to of found it before the battery went dead. Just remember, next time an item comes up missing... regardless of how big or small, you know where to look first! Secondly, ask Kay KAy where her slide is. =) I'm sure she has many of them;)

Kids are just so imaginative & creative. One never knows with them.

Leah & Jon said...

That is too funny! I laughed and told Jon about it! He was as baffled as I was about the fact that she didn't get disturbed when any of these items fell into the black hole (never to be recovered)! I'm just glad to here that all victims have been reunited with their families! :-) When I told Jon there were two each of Bob and Larry, he said "well at least they were in good company!" Ha! Guess life never gets boring with kids huh?

Betty said...

How is it kids always seem to be able to cram so many things in such a small space you would think. Our kids use to cram barbie legs and many more items into the VCR. We could never figure out why it didn't work. Until we took it in to be fixed and the repairman pulled a bunch of loot out. Kids! Guess they keep us on our toes!

Anonymous said...

so that's the reason you haven't returned my calls since i've been home! Wow! I'm glad you finally solved the mystery of where bob and junior got off to! Jess

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,
happy loot hunting. Isn't it amazing the things children consider treasure. Kay, Kay could definitely be a pirate, she can hide treasure very well. Chalk one up for the little one. By the way Happy Belated Birthday Kaelyn

Aunt Rhonda said...

Hi Becky, This is great stuff! I laughed and laughed while reading your comments and looking at the pictures. What a great way to stay in touch. I esspeccially enjoy the "sarcastic" tones which come through. Thanks for sharing!