Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Self-discipline

You may think that this title is referring to a characteristic trait that I wish I had more of when it comes to [not] drinking pepsi. However, it isn't referring to a character trait at all in this case. This is just a funny little story about Kay-Kay. We were eating grilled cheese sandwhiches and soup Monday evening. I was trying to be nice to my stomach due to the fact that my nerves have had me all messed up. Kay had eaten just a couple of bites of her sandwhich when she decided she didn't want anymore. I had cut it in half so I told her she had to at least eat half of it (which really means nothing to her - she has no concept of what half is but anyway). After protesting for a couple of bites, she decided to play the "nice manners card". I held it up to her and she said, "Uh, no thanks." I DO tell her to say that when she is full or doesn't want something someone offers her but it wasn't going to work for her supper. She was still refusing to eat more so I told her that if she didn't take a bite I was going to have to spank her. She promptly looked up and said, "I'm going to get my spoon!" (I keep a couple of wooden spoons which I use when I have to spank her and they seem to be more effective than anything else - especially when it comes to getting her to cooperate with eating.) Kevin looked at me and said, "Did she just say I'm going to get my spoon?" Before I could even answer him, she started to smack her own legs with her hands. Then, after she "gave herself a spanking" she said, "Now you eat that!" at which point she picked up her sandwhich and took a bite. Kevin and I were laughing and laughing - we couldn't help it. I said, "So not only does she warn herself, and then punish herself, but then she actually eats it." We were quite amused. She never laughed or acted smart like she realized she was being funny. I think she just really has the routine memorized and went through it by herself. So I guess you could call it an unusual form of "self- discipline". :)

4 comments:

Betty said...

That's funny. They sure seem to learn more than you know.

Aimee said...

That's too crazy. Just think, this may save you from having to give her some spankings! If she gives them herself, I'm sure she's better off.;)

She sounds like a rip! =)

Leah & Jon said...

So odd! Now if she just keeps after herself she should turn out just fine! :-)

Becky said...

I know! If she would just send herself to her room or ground herself when she gets older we would have lots less frustration I'm sure.