Sunday, August 3, 2008

Minnie Mouse goes potty

A few of you know this, but we had a real struggle with the whole potty training thing - to the point of me being in tears several times over it. It was a frustrating experience for both of us because I would get so upset more because of feeling like a complete failure as a mother because she was nearing three and still not potty trained. The thing is, over and over again we would realize that she really was not getting it; it was not a matter of her being ornery. Well after school was out, family had come and gone, and we got back from vacation, we hit it hard again but I determined to just relax and not get worked up and that helped us both. The odd thing was, it was almost like she caught on one evening to what she was supposed to do and since the first time she understood to tell me, she has had only 3 or 4 accidents since then. We have done shopping excursions, Chuck E. Cheese, Disney World - a number of things with lots of distractions and excitement and she has done great. She is not 100% there but trust me are willing to be happy with the progress we have made! Of course there has been a lot of enthusiasm shown for her going to the bathroom. Well, tonight we heard her talking to one of her little Minnie Mouse figurines. She asked Minnie if she wanted to sit in her pink chair and then she said, "You want to go pee-pee in the potty?" I followed her into the bathroom and sure enough there was Minnie laying on the toilet seat. Then she came out to the living room and was exclaiming over and over about "what a good job" Minnie had done going on the potty. After this happened several times, I decided to video her. She wasn't quite as funny when I had the camera out because she was a little distracted by the camera (you can hardly photograph or video her with the camera now because she wants to see it - sometimes before you even get her). Anyway, here is what I did get of it. Unfortunately, I didn't get my camera in time to get her asking Minnie if she wanted to go potty.
Click to play potty training Minnie
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox

4 comments:

Aimee said...

That is too cute to invite a friend in to go potty. I guess I wasn't ever that creative about it. whatever does the trick! I'm glad things are looking brighter.

My sister and I babysat for a little boy who was about 4 and still wasn't potty trained. He had no interest!! The docs told the parents that he'll go when he's ready and not to push him. He's fine now.. a year later.

Anonymous said...

Becky,
This is your cousin, Carmen. I hope you don't mind but I have become quite a fan of your blog. :-) Your daughter is soooo cute. I don't have a blog page myself. I'm a myspace junkie! :-) Well, just wanted to say hi and keep the cute and funny moments coming.

Carmen

Becky said...

Hi Carmen - was so happy to hear from you. Do you have a myspace page? I'd love to visit it if you do. Becky

Anonymous said...

http://www.myspace.com/carmenslife
You should be able to get to it from this web address.

Have a great day!!

Carmen :-)