Saturday, September 27, 2008

What should we do about Nettie Gardner? :)

For those of you who are not my siblings: When we were kids we would occasionally call my sister Lynette "Nettie" mostly just because she hated it so much and we knew it would get under her skin. We were always loving siblings like that. (My mom would always quickly come to her defense by saying there was nothing wrong with that name because she had an Aunt Nettie that had always been a favorite aunt of her's. That never seemed to change Lynette's mind about the nickname.) Thankfully for her I'm sure, the nickname never stuck and she managed to leave the name behind when she reached adulthood - almost. Last year, I gave her a year's subscription to a scrapbooking magazine for Christmas. I decided to put "Nettie Gardner" instead of Lynette as her name just as a little joke. Much to my annoyance, the first magazine was sent to her well before Christmas but it was quite amusing when she e-mailed all of us wanting to know who was the smart-alech who sent a magazine to "Nettie". She was a great sport though and we all had a little laugh and that was that. I really haven't thought about it since then since I'm not the one getting the magazine addressed to Nettie every month or two. However, when we got the mail this evening and I saw this envelope I had to laugh. Here's what it said:
"Tell us what to do about Nettie Gardner by OCT 21"
The way it was worded was funny enough in itself. Most renewal notices will say something to the the effect of "So and So's subscription is about to expire". But with it saying tell us what to do about Nettie it was even funnier to me. So I thought I would ask all of you - "What SHOULD we do about Nettie Gardner?" I thought about writing back and telling them we have never figured out what to do about her (totally kidding Net). :) If you have any ideas about what they should do about her, please respond to me no later than October 21 - I don't know what they do with her after that! :)
I'm sure I have just given all of you a whole new level of sympathy for Lynette for having to put up with a sister like me then and now. But actually (I'm getting paranoid now), I'm making fun of the magazine subscription renewal people not Lynette. I hope everyone figured that out!

5 comments:

The Taylors said...

Oh, you're bad but I am laughing!

Anonymous said...

Much funnier with the picture added.

Lynette said...

When I first saw your title I thought you were about to disown me because I don't post often enough.Once I read far enough to figure out what was going on,I had to chuckle.And,by the way,I have enjoyed the magazine enough to forgive the name that it comes in each time.

Becky said...

That's funny Net because when I titled the post I thought, "She's going to see that and think it's a post about her not blogging!" :) (or at least be paranoid until she reads down a little bit)

Leah & Jon said...

Well yours may not have been about her blogging, but I definitely thought about doing a post about her going MIA!