Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sucked in!/Auntie Anne's pretzels

I have had this strange thing happening to me the past few weeks - I am finding myself being sucked into politics more and more. Honestly, in the past, once there were two candidates chosen, I knew who they were and that was about all. I have never followed the primaries until this year - not saying that's a good thing - just a fact. 'Course, I think a lot of us know a lot more not necessarily by choice but because it has been such a big deal for so long. I know some people are sick of all the politics but I am just getting more and more sucked in - especially since McCain announced his running mate. Up to that point, I wasn't even sure what to do about voting - do you go for the lesser of two evils even when you know that is what it seemed like McCain was counting on and he didn't feel like he had to do anything to make conservatives happy? It certainly has been interesting and I guess between my analytical personality and Kevin's avid following of politics, I have followed it a lot more closely. I decided I liked Palin from the beginning and she didn't disappoint in her speech tonight. I was just laughing and laughing (Kevin says I like her so much because she delivered her criticism VERY sarcastically and smart-alechy with a very straight face. He's probably right - her attacks were "classy" if an attack can be classy but you still got the point.) By the way, for those of you who didn't watch it, it was so cute/funny - the cameras kept going to her family. At one point, the youngest girl (probably 7 or 8) asked her dad to hold the baby. The camera caught her just in time to see her lick her hand and then use it to smooth down the baby's hair several times. It was so funny! I'm sure someone will be horrified over it if pictures get plastered all over but it was quite cute! The (major) former Republican candidates running against McCain in the primaries all spoke tonight and did quite well. Huckabee was great - he is quite funny and I really enjoyed hearing him. Though I haven't been a fan of Guiliani's moral stances, he did a great job speaking. He had all guns blazing on Obama and he did it cleverly and with wit. Another observation I made about the RNC as opposed to last week's DNC is the lack of "whiners" speaking tonight. I didn't hear one person speak of any adversity in their life as being the gvt.'s fault (like they did at the DNC). They had black men, black women, Spanish men, lots of women and a Democrat formerly planning to vote for Obama speak (I'm sure all very carefully planned that way but, hey, we can play that game too, right?). Most of them didn't come from rich families either but they have worked hard and many of them were founders or CEOs of big companies or their own businesses and they just made the point of working hard and voting Republican because McCain's policies are far more conducive to small businesses. There was quite an impressive list: the founder of Auntie Anne's pretzels (who interestingly enough was raised Amish), the CEO of Ebay, a former CEO of Hewlitt Packard and some others that I don't remember. (I remembered the Auntie Anne's pretzel woman because that is a subject near and dear to my heart - though I think I need to sue them also for being responsible for my weight gain - refer back to a previous post. Hey, if a person can make a pretzel like that and they vote for McCain, that should make EVERYONE want to vote for McCain - but I am greatly digressing now.) Well, somehow my great intellectual thoughts on politics have ebbed away into light-hearted thoughts of food so I should close now.
P. S. Does anyone know where there is an Auntie Anne's open at 12:20 in the morning? No? I didn't think you would but I just thought I'd ask anyway. :)

2 comments:

Betty said...

Okay your making me hungry! I could go for a sugar & cinnamon pretzel with carmel sauce now. MMMM!! But I agree! Palin was Awesome!!

Mike and Heather said...

I'm glad you're blogging about politics!! You save me the effort. You take the words from my mouth :)