Friday, October 3, 2008

Hello again.

Okay so I know I have "dropped the ball" on blogging this week, especially since I have been home all week but I haven't exactly felt perky the last couple of days. It seems as if Kay-Kay was too generous and she shared part of whatever she had with BOTH Kevin and I. Neither one of us were nearly as bad/miserable as she was and we haven't had any eye issues (so far) but all the same, I really haven't felt up to doing very much.


I enjoyed the debate last night (I don't think I had ever watched or listened to a debate before this election). I won't get into the argument of how Palin did - whether she won or not - because everyone who watched it seems to have a very strong opinion one way or the other but I must say I can't help but like her and her personality from watching her. I have to share this one line just because of the humor in it (for those of you who didn't hear about it). I don't even remember the issue that was being discussed but something Joe Biden said that was not true (there were quite a few of those times by the way) she turned when it was her turn to respond and said, "Say it aint so Joe" which is a saying that goes back to an old baseball scandal in the early 1900's. Some people, even conservatives, have criticized her for being to "folksy" in the debate and maybe this just shows my lack of intelligence but I have to admit, I found it far easier to listen to than the typical political blah, blah, blah. I suppose that's exactly what some people are referring to when they say she had no substance but I guess that's why simple people like me liked it - sometimes "deep substance" just muddies the water if you don't understand all the "political speak". And since I have already gone against what I said I would not do (get into how she did) let me make another point. I have also heard a lot of people (once again even conservatives) say (via internet) that they were disappointed that she didn't answer some of the questions and even purposefully CHOSE to ignore some of them. While I won't disagree with the fact that she did that, given the fact that the media has purposely tried to ask her things to trip her up and make her look dumb, I think I understand why she had decided to not walk into that trap. But, lets say that based off of some of her answers in recent interviews, there are some things that she doesn't completely know everything about. Frankly, this might sound shallow, but I would prefer to have someone who is honest, firm in what they believe, and will honestly make the best decisions they can for the American people in office. I'm not convinced anymore that leaders who went to Harvard, Yale, etc. and know all about the "Bush doctrine" and other political jargon are better leaders (based off of the way politics are anymore). No I wouldn't want someone who is dumb in office but I don't think at all that she is dumb. We have so few leaders anymore (in either party) who have a true moral compass to do what they think is right that I'm willing to take the risk on someone who others deem inexperienced.


Well, I am so far away from where this post started that I'm thinking that it's a good thing I'm not a preacher. I would leave people scratching their heads as to how I went from preaching on God's mercy to God's will for your life. :) But if you ever have any other questions on my opinions on current politics, just ask me; you can be sure I will be happy to impart my wealth of knowledge and opinions on everything! :)


Now to totally change subjects on you all again, here are some completely random pictures:



This is SO Kaelyn. Anytime we have ever tried to get her
to color, she just wants to sit and twirl the crayons or drum
them on the table (those of you who know her know that
goes along with some of her issues). She can actually
entertain herself quite awhile that way but she never has
seemed to get (or at least care about) the concept of
coloring till recently. The past couple of weeks, it's like all
of the sudden, she has figured out what you're actually
supposed to do when you color - mostly. She has been
sitting down at her little table now constantly and getting
a crayon out to color. I have to really watch her now
because if she finds ANY writing utensil now, you better
watch out 'cause she IS going to "color" whatever is
"available". So, there we are a few evenings ago sitting
on the couch with our hands folded in our laps watching
our little angel color - okay, so we were actually
watching a movie and not paying much attention to
her - and I looked over there to see her very painstakingly
standing all of the crayons up. After they were all standing
lined up in a row, she would knock them over and start again.
It's really too bad we're too poor to afford blocks and things
like that she could build with. :)

In all fairness to Kay-Kay, I have to admit that
I remember as a kid using our crayons to try to
"build" log cabins but that was probably because
we were quite enamored with Little House on the
Prairie because my mom read us the whole series.
We also pretended to be Mary, Laura, and Carrie
and make feather beds. Then there was our covered
wagon... our Radio Flyer with a sheet over it. So
who am I calling odd??? :)
This has been such a weird post that I'm not sure I have the nerve to hit the "publish post" button now! :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, shoot, just a couple of weeks ago I saw a whole tub of blocks at a yard sale for like $2. I didn't have anywhere to put them so I didn't get them. Do you ever go yard sale-ing? I have found all kinds of goodies that way. Ex. my furniture for $45.

Mike and Heather said...

you too?! I was obsessed with Little House on the Prairie. I think I spend the majority of my childhood pretending to be Laura Ingalls and reading and rereading those books.