Saturday, November 29, 2008

Decorating in frigid temperatures

This past Wednesday, we put our Christmas tree up and started decorating the house for Christmas. I was so excited because it got down into the low 50s outside. We had the back door open (with just the screen closed) and the front door open (also with the screen opened). I had put the tree up in the eve. right before Kevin got home and then he got all the lights connected and everything while I made dinner. After dinner, we put some cookies in the oven and we (my friend Jessica and I) worked on the fireplace mantel and stuff while Kevin napped on the couch. Meanwhile, it had gotten quite chilly in the house and SOME OF THE PEOPLE in the house were complaining about it but I, like any intelligent person would, made them leave the doors open and excitedly went and put socks and a fleece sweatshirt on. As you remember from a previous post of mine, the official "hot chocolate rules" state that if it is under 70 degrees outside, you can have hot chocolate - of course, if you are willing to look a little crazy, you can have it no matter how warm it is out. So, it was time to break out the cocoa. Once again, we exemplified intelligence at its best by standing around on the back porch in our sweatshirts drinking hot chocolate. After that, someone shut the doors and turned the heat on (wasn't me - I was so in the spirit of the season I could've frozen to death and they would have found me dead with a happy grin frozen to my face!) Then we put the decorations on the tree and exchanged gifts with Jess.
I had gotten Kaelyn a Little Einsteins rocket decoration. I had this great idea to wrap it up and then let her open it when we got the tree up. She, of course, then would be all excited to open it and hang it on the tree. Unfortunately, she didn't get the memo about what she was supposed to do. She WAS very thrilled to open a present and she was VERY, VERY excited when she saw it was rocket. She didn't want to wait while Kevin put the batteries in (it plays the Einstein's theme song). However, that's where she decided not to go along with the plan. She could NOT understand why we kept trying to "take it" from her. (She had already been traumatized earlier when Kevin was trying to get her to go pick the wrapping paper up and throw it away because she thought he wanted her to throw her rocket away. She was almost in tears over it by the time we realized she wasn't understanding that she was supposed to throw away THE PAPER that rocket was in not rocket itself.) Suffice it to say, I don't think rocket will make it onto the tree this year but she sure loves it a lot!!


Opening her "special" ornament for this year.



Taking Rocket out of its box


Waiting (very impatiently) for Daddy to put the batteries
in.


Hot cocoa - need I say more? (It was yummy!)

No comments: