Monday, September 27, 2010

Our Little Reader

I was going back through old blog posts of mine from a year and two years ago and I had a bit of a startling revelation.  I realized that I used to blog much more because I enjoyed it so much - and I enjoyed it so much because I was rather uninhibited.  I posted pictures and stories and happenings that I thought were cute and wanted to share rather than worrying about or trying to figure out what others might be interested in or find cute or NOT find interesting.  I loved it because I enjoy writing (at times) and tend to express my thoughts and feelings FAR BETTER writing (or typing in this case) then I ever can using actual words.  Anyway, some of my thoughts, stories, and things Kaelyn said or did that I shared in the past were neat to read on my blog if for nothing more than my own sake - having those memories preserved.  I don't do well at journaling or documenting those kinds of things just on my own so as I read back over my blog, there were memories that I was reminded of that I had already forgotten.  I don't know how much or if I will be able to "come out of my shell" again as far as blogging but I thought I would start by sharing this video of Kaelyn reading.  I had already come up with about 10 reasons why I shouldn't share it - all these things that people would surely think if I posted it - one of those things being that people might thing I'm a too proud etc. etc. but honestly, I am proud of her and it thrills me to overhear her sitting in her room or on the couch reading!
I just bought her some of the "Early Reader" books.  I'm not sure that's what they are called but they are numbered by reading stages.  She has a couple Toy Story one and a princess one which just helps add to her interest in reading them.  The one she is reading in the video is part of a Level 2 book.  She had read it 3 or 4 times with me before this particular time that we videoed her so you will notice that some of the harder words she has memorized now.  Obviously, she didn't read it quite that smoothly the first couple of times but she DOES do fairly well at trying to sound words out - even the bigger words.  We didn't record her reading all of the book as that takes quite a while at her reading speed as you can imagine.  :)

(When I played the video after posting it on here, there was only sound the first time with no picture.  I clicked "play again" after it finished and then it showed the video as well.  So the sound may load and start playing before the whole video can load - or maybe it's just mine that's doing that.  :)  Also, it took a while for it to load for me but it did eventually play.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create your own photo slideshow

2 comments:

The Taylors said...

And there is NOTHING wrong with being proud, that is a good kind of pride.
John says he wants to post "You shouldn't worry so much about what everyone else thinks, have you seen them they're idiots" :D
I dont know who "they" are exactly but it made me chuckle.

Unknown said...

Fantastic job, Kaelyn! You are such a bright student.
Thanks, Becky, for posting. I know I don't comment much, but I really do love to keep up with what is going on in your life!
Have a great week!
Bethany