Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tinker Bell gets her teeth brushed

I just had to share this video. We used to struggle so much with brushing Kaelyn's teeth. Because of her sensory issues, she could hardly stand having her teeth brushed, her nails clipped, her ears cleaned etc. For months and months, almost every time I brushed her teeth, I would have to give her a smack with "my spoon" just to get her to let me get the toothbrush in her mouth. I knew that probably wasn't the best way to deal with the situation because she really wasn't trying to be naughty but I didn't know what else to do and she HAD to have her teeth brushed. After much frustration, tears, and even prayer, I had an idea. I bought a couple Minnie and Mickey toothbrushes when we were up in Orlando a year ago last May. Then, because she loves music and routines, I made up a [rather silly] song to sing every time we brushed her teeth. Since then, we've expanded to whatever character is on the tooth brush "talking" to her about brushing her teeth. ("Great job brushing your teeth", etc.) You can laugh but what used to be a big deal every morning and every evening has become so much easier and I really feel like most of the credit goes to God because I pray daily for wisdom with situations like that in our lives. Trying to make sure we keep a balance between disciplining her for naughtiness but helping her when she struggles because she needs everything to be very rigid patterns keeps me in a constant struggle it seems. Anyway... her playing and imagination is just starting to expand - I imagine largely thanks to help she gets at school - and so it is interesting to listen to her play. Yesterday, I heard her talking to one of her Tinker Bell toys about brushing teeth. Sure enough, in a few minutes I heard her yelling from the bathroom, "Help please Mommy?" So I helped her put a little bit of toothpaste on her Minnie Mouse toothbrush and then I ran for my camera. She went through the whole routine of brushing, singing, rinsing etc. Now mind you, this Tinker Bell is a keychain that's at least 3 times smaller then the toothbrush so she kind of got a whole "facebrush". It's hard to actually even see Tinker Bell since she's dwarfed by the gigantic toothbrush but I think you'll get the idea. Notice the "Minnie voice" Kaelyn uses when she tells Tinker Bell what a great job she's doing brushing her teeth. We've come a loooong way with the whole toothbrushing thing as you will see. Hope you enjoy the video.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

LOVE IT!!!! I noticed she was using the back part of the brush versus the bristle side too. It's all soo cute. Im so glad things are looking brighter and easier for you Beck!

Unknown said...

So adorable!

Anonymous said...

very cute

Anonymous said...

Hot dog that was awesome....