Sunday, April 26, 2009

Easter activities

Kaelyn had a lot of fun on Easter this year. Every year, I have fixed up eggs to do a small Easter egg hunt for her and she has never really caught on or seemed to care about finding them. I told Kevin this year that I wasn't going to go through the bother of buying stuff because I didn't know if she would even care. Then I got to thinking about it and thought "What if this is the year that she catches on and thinks it's fun?" So I bought a bag of candy and filled about a dozen plastic eggs. After dinner at Rachel and John's, I went outside and hid the eggs around the front yard. Well... not only did she catch on this time, she loved it! As a matter of fact, those same eggs were hidden no less than 5 times that day! All I had to do is lead her to a couple and show her how to put them in her basket and off she went. Even though she doesn't exactly understand numbers and the way they work, by the end of the first time, she had memorized what all eggs there were and of the ones that were the same, she knew how many of those there should be. Later in the afternoon, she wanted to look for them again (though that's not exactly how she said it). So I hid them again - and again. Then Kevin hid them for her and put them in harder spots. Then Rach hid them. Every time, she would [apparently] keep track in her mind of what ones she had found and she always knew when she had found the last one. We tried slipping a couple of hard boiled, dyed ones in but when she saw them, she would leave them lying on the ground because they weren't part of "the group" of eggs she had been searching for. We've also hidden them around the house 2 or 3 times since Easter. So, as you can tell, it was quite a hit.
The other activity she loved was dying them. I didn't think she would get into this at all but I don't know what I was thinking. She is quite obsessed with playing in cups of water - or any liquid for that matter. She'll pour and repour and scoop and dip toys in any water she can find. So... dropping eggs into cups of colored water was just the funnest thing ever. We showed her how to use the little plastic egg holder thingy that came in the set and she just sat there one after another putting the eggs on the holder, than lowering them down into the dye. She also enjoyed fishing them out again but she didn't really care about putting the stickers on them or doing anymore decorating once they were colored. Somehow, we missed taking pictures of her looking for the eggs but I think Rach got some. We do have some cute ones of her dying them though so I included them below.


I was impressed with her coordination here because
that's one thing she struggles with but I'm sure the
therapy at school has helped a lot.


She was so intense about this and wanted
to do more but we didn't have any more.


Putting the finished products in the carton

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I would have been holding my breath with those "water cups" on the carpet with newspaper. Looks/ sounds like everything went smooth though.

Glad it was such a hit.

Becky said...

Actually, you can't really tell it from the pictures but most of the papers were over the entry way by the front door which is vinyl flooring rather than carpet. We were on the carpet a little bit though and yes, I was still kind of holding by breath 'cause I know if one would've spilled, it probably would have spilled toward the carpet not the door!

Betty said...

looks like she had fun. Just love it when the get the picture of what to do!