Thursday, April 7, 2011

What's Your Weakness?

So what's your weakness?  You know, the thing that you just have to stay away from, the stores you have to stay out of because your love of  __(whatever it is)__ is just too tempting.  For me, it's books.  I have to stay out of bookstores most of the time - seriously unless I have a gift card or I'm feeling very self-disciplined at the moment.  I HAVE kind of learned to just pass by the "Bargain Books" tables and scan them quickly which means I can go through a bookstore quickly sometimes and not come out with anything.  The thing is now, I know that very often, if I really, really want/need a book and plan on buying it at some point, I'm usually going to find it cheaper on Amazon or some other place online.  Which is probably exactly the reason why the Borders in our mall is going out of business.  I feel kind of sad about it and yet I'm sure it is very hard for an actual "brick and mortar store" as they say, to compete with online prices.  I myself have not bought anything in there for a very long time (excluding the books I've bought since they have been having their going out of business sale).  I've been in there 3 times since they've marked all their stuff down but my last trip there was by far my most successful as far as good deals.  Kay was still on spring break last Friday so she and I headed up to the mall.  Since the store is closing down this weekend, a LOT of their books have either been sold or sent off to other Borders/Waldenbooks stores that are NOT closing down.  Since the sections were so much more condensed, I pretty much looked through every book title of the remaining books in the Christian, History, Biography, and humor sections.  Any good children's books have been long gone.  I know a lot of those were shipped off to other stores earlier on.  I came home with a TON of books for both Kevin and myself.  Thing is, a lot of them were $12-$20 books for 70% off.  I got quite a few books that the original price was $14.99 and I paid $4.50 etc.  So if you're a family member, chances are you might be getting a book for the next 3 Christmases because I probably have enough to do that.  Just kidding!  Unfortunately, I also don't like to part with my books even if I have read them.  I'm not quite so much that way with novels but then it's not the novels that I tend to accumulate.  I was going to put all the books in a stack and get a picture, then I looked at the bagfuls of them (yes, still sitting around) and realized I would never get them all in one picture if I organized them into a neat pile like I wanted to.  So I ended up splitting them up by genres-loosely- and had three piles.  :-)  They are currently sitting in huge towers on the coffee table much to my distress.  Kay got home from school, saw my neat piles and promptly carried them all into the living room and started trying to see how high of a tower she could build with them on top of the coffee table.  The main reason I'm distressed about that is because it looks like SO MANY books when you see them piled high in a tower.  :-)  She also just asked me, "When I get an adult, can I read all of these books?"  I said, "Sure!"  :-)

These are Kevin's "political" books and my books about history, biography, etc.


These are the books by Christian writers.


These are humor/miscellaneous books


Two books that were missed when I was photographing "their pile".  :-)  There is also one book that I bought at the same time that is missing from the pictures. 
Blogger turned two of these pictures which annoys me to death but I couldn't get them the right way no matter what I tried.
Now the only issue left is... where am I going to put them?  My bookshelf - er shelves - are already full.  That's why the books are still sitting around.  Any suggestions?


6 comments:

The Taylors said...

Weeeeel-- I'm thinking given your "kitchen skills" maybe you have a cupboard you could afford to empty and repurpose for a "more useful" purpose. :-D
Kay just cracks me up! Funny girl and her obsession with growing up and being a grown up! I guess most kids are that way but her perspective and priorities are just different.

Becky said...

Ahahahaha!!! That is seriously the hardest I've laughed in awhile Rach! As soon as I started reading you're comment I was like, "That's just wrong!" but I was laughing and laughing - such a clever response. :-)
Then some night when Kev and Kaelyn wanna' know what we're having for supper, I'll say, "There's no instant meals left in the cupboards so tonight we're just going to feast our MINDS. Now both of you choose a book." :-D

Lynette said...

And some of us would certainly not suffer to feast our minds for a few meals. My brain could handle the enlarging more gracefully than my belly, I think. Thought about trying it tonight but....... : )

The Taylors said...

Ah, ha, ha...this just keeps getting better!!
Here-here Net, alas, so sad but true!

mama said...

Let's be practical,why not buy another bookcase? If you do not have two rows of books on the one you have why not do that? Put the least ones that will be read or wanted in the back.

Leah & Jon said...

Oh! What a good laugh I had! I was thinking if you used your cupboards for books then, when you find yourself trapped in a conversation about cooking, cookware, etc. you could be like "Oh I have got to clean out my cupboards! They're just all so full now I don't have room for anything!" :-)