Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Activites - Pumpkin Carving and K's Halloween "parade"

This past week we carved a pumpkin.  We had gotten one a couple weeks ago when we went to the pumpkin patch.  Kaelyn has been begging me to "carve the biggest pumpkin" ever since then.  She has a book (a beginning reader book that I got her) that she can mostly read by herself that is about the princesses and Halloween.  One of the princesses "carved the biggest pumpkin" in the book so that is why she was so interested in it and that's the way she asked every time.  Actually, pretty much the way it worked was that Mom sat out in the kitchen one afternoon/evening and carved the pumpkin by herself.  Work has been crazy for Kevin lately and he has put in several late evenings.  Kaelyn doesn't exactly know much about pumpkin carving.  She did come out once I was a good ways along and she wanted to help so she got to try it for a bit and we got a few good pictures with her.  This was only the second time in my whole life that I've carved a pumpkin so I really wasn't happy with the way it turned out because I messed it up but we could still tell what it was supposed to be so I guess it was acceptable.



I wasn't willing to turn her loose on it by herself.  Her fine motor skills are not that great so I can only imagine what might happen if it were just her, the pumpkin, and a little saw.


Kaelyn's class carved pumpkins at school on Wednesday.  I'm not sure what all that consisted of or how that worked out but I think her teacher is pretty brave to do pumpkin carving with 9 or 10 ESE Kindergartners!  :-)


I sincerely hope that I don't need to say this but just in case: it's Winnie the pooh.





Thursday, all the Kindergarten classes at Kaelyn's school got to take their Halloween costumes to school  for the [Kindergarten] Halloween "parade".  They all dressed up and then each class walked all the way around the courtyard in the center of the school.  A lot of the parents were there and some of the older kids (classes) came out and watched them walk around.  It was pretty cute.  When Kaelyn's class came out and she first saw me she was waving and yelling, "It's my mom!  Hi Mom!  Look!  I'm in the Halloween parade!"  It cracked me up.  She was so excited to be in the "parade" and she was so excited that I was there watching her!  :-D


There are only 9 or 10 in her class but the regular Kindergarten classes were bigger so there were quite a few of them walking around.


My camera lens kept fogging up at first despite my best efforts to keep it wiped off.


And... she spots me!  :-)


She was waving at me here - and look at that proud grin on her face (she's never been IN a parade before).  :-)


And a wave over her shoulder after she passes me.  Actually, since we were all in the center, most of the parents stood over by the sidewalk where all the kids came out and then we walked across the courtyard to the other side and stood where they would pass right by us again.




A quick picture of the two of us before I left after K's class got back to their classroom.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

You did an amazing job carving Winnie the Pooh. What talent !:) I dont think I have EVER carved a pumpkin.. and if I did.. definitely wasnt as creative as yours. Im about sure I havent though.

You've captured MANY memories, fun times... that she will be able to relive when she does get older through your eyes. Yes, Im sure some will be a bit embarrassing.. butit once was all in fun.

Leah & Jon said...

So cute! Liked the parade pictures and LOVE the one of the two of you! You two always make for a great picture!