Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kaelyn's big day

After a long process that started MONTHS ago (screening, hearing screening, evaluation, etc.) Kay-Kay started school today at Jensen Beach Elementary in a special pre-k class that focuses on kids with autistic symptoms. There are 10 students in her classroom (counting her) along with the main teacher and two full-time aides. Along with the other classroom activities, she will also spend time in the sensory lab and with the speech pathologist. Kevin and I snuck out of the classroom while she was playing after seeing the classroom and being shown the routines that they do. She spotted us when her whole class was walking down the hallway and we were just leaving the office after doing all the enrollment stuff. We felt really badly because we heard her start crying but she did fine after that. She burst into tears when she saw me at the end of the day but other than that her teacher said that she didn't cry at all and she transitioned from one activity to another with all the other kids just fine. Her teacher said she did great which of course is a huge relief! She will be attending 5 days a week just like a regular school schedule. It was very hard to "send her off" to school like that and believe me, I've spent plenty of time crying but Kevin and I both feel like this is the best thing for her right now. Our hope and intention is that she will catch up on areas where she is behind and also learn how to act in a school setting so that by the time she is school age, we can have her in a [regular] Christian school. She got up so early this morning (she has to be there by 7:50 every morning and it's a 20 minute drive without traffic), that I thought she would probably fall asleep on the drive home but she didn't. She chattered ALL THE WAY home. Some of the things she was saying I wasn't sure exactly what she was talking about, but she was sure animated. I'm sure she will still have some rough days in the next couple of weeks but it was a huge relief to have this first day go so well. I debated sharing all this but as you all know, my blog has never been one of those blogs that portrays just the perfect parts of our life! :) I'm proud of how well she did and thought you all might enjoy seeing some pictures we took this morning.


She looks like she's "reflecting" on life in this pic.
doesn't she? :) I'm pretty sure that wasn't the
case! :)


All ready to go with her princess "pack-pack"
on her back. (It only had a change of clothes
in it.)


She looks so big here in such a little way if you
know what I mean.


I thought this picture was quite cute!

She entertained herself by sitting in all the little chairs
around the classroom while we got a "tour" and talked
with her teacher.
The three of us. She wasn't really interested in
having her picture taken here if you can't tell.

This was the toy Miss Marilyn got her interested in
when we were ready to leave. The other kids had
gone to breakfast with the 2 aides.
I was going to take a picture when she came out of
the classroom at the end of the day but since she
burst into tears as she walked out, I decided not to.

2 comments:

Betty said...

Ahh! She looks so cute! I know it's a hard choice but she will do great! Just to let you know, It is a mothers perrogative to cry when their child heads off to school for the first time. I've cried with everyone of mine. And Meagan will be no different. Maybe even harder than the others. Afterall she is the baby! Glad she did well the first day!

The Taylors said...

I am so glad you "got the nerve" to take pictures, I think you will be glad you had them. I am so proud of her for doing so well.