Thursday, December 18, 2008

Comfort in my own words

So I was sitting on the couch crying my eyes out the other day - don't really remember which particular day it was :). Kaelyn was doing her own thing and playing. Finally she came over to where I was and just stood beside me. She looked at me for a second then she said [repeatedly], "What's the matter? Are you okay? It's okay. Don't cry." Now for Kaelyn, that was not really her coming up with her own words of comfort because she understood what was going on. She just recognized the crying and "parroted back" phrases that are spoken to her when SHE is upset. But somehow, in a strange way, even though I knew she was just copying what she has heard said to her so many times when she's upset, it was still comforting all the same. Maybe it's lame, but just the sympathy from my 3 year old caused me to try to dry my tears, give her a big hug and then try to remember how blessed I really am. I guess it pays to watch what you say and how you interact with your kids because it IS going to come back to you in some way at some point somewhere. Thankfully this time, it was in a good way! :) Merry almost-Christmas to you all!

No comments: