Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lucky

Kaelyn had off of school Thursday and Friday.  Her teacher had told me earlier in the week that she and her family were going up to Disney World this weekend.  Earlier on this year, Disney did a promotion called "Give a day, get a day".  There were lists of places that families could volunteer in each state.  If a family volunteered somewhere for the day, each person that volunteered got a free ticket to DW to be used within the next year.  Kay's teacher's family had done it and so they were just now "cashing in" on their free day since they had a couple days off.  When I picked Kaelyn up from school Wednesday, I was mentioning to her that her teacher was going to Disney World.  She said, "What?"  I said, "Did Ms. Diane tell you that she is going to Disney World?"  Then I said, "She's lucky isn't she?"  Kaelyn said, "What's lucky when it means?"  (which is the way she phrases the question when she wants to know what a word means).  Well, Noah Webster I aint!  Sometimes I have difficulty explaining definitions or phrases to her because I have to relate them to something else she already understands.  Because I couldn't come up with anything better, I said, "Lucky means when you get to do something fun."  She thought for a minute and then said, "Can I be lucky?"  :-D  I laughed and said, "Why do you want to be lucky?"  She said, "Because I want to do something fun too."  She's such a literal thinker so to explain the concept that you are lucky as a result of somethingthat happens is nearly impossible right now.  So in her mind now, if she can just be lucky, however you attain that, then she can do something fun too!  :-)

1 comment:

The Taylors said...

;-) I want to be lucky too!