Saturday, March 14, 2009

The icky flu and tender moments - the two are not related.

I just thought I would give you all a quick update. We (just Kaelyn and I so far) have been battling a terrible flu. Kay was coughing and sneezing and had a little bit of low-grade fever here and there last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. By Monday, she was really sick and pretty much wanted me to hold her most of the day. By that evening, her fever got up to 104. By the next morning, she was much better. She didn't seem to have any fever. She still wasn't eating and she wasn't completely perky but she was much better. I kept her home Wednesday also just to make sure and she seemed back to normal other than a little cough and a runny nose. She went back to school Thursday after being out for a week. I got the flu Wednesday. It is the achiest flu I have ever had. I couldn't find any way to sit or lay that felt comfortable and when I walked around everything on me hurt besides the cough and stuff. By Thursday I had a fever off and on all day. When I woke up yesterday morning, my fever was 104.3. I got out of bed long enough to get Kaelyn ready for school and then went back to bed. I went to the dr. in the afternoon and got a couple different things to take so I'm hoping it won't last for 10 days like I've heard some people have had it. Anyway, between the two of us, we've been doing a LOT of sitting/lying around. Kaelyn doesn't understand what's going on and why I'm not doing as much with/for her as I normally do. Thursday after she got home from school, I had been in bed and I finally sat up and was on the computer. She came in and climbed up beside me, sat up on Kevin's pillow, and leaned back against the headboard. She said, "Hold my hand Mommy?" I said, "Sure" and took her hand. She said, "Tool (cool), that's much better." Then she said, "What did you do for today school?" Which of course is what I normally ask her (minus the mixed up wording). Her teacher always kneels down when the kids come in if she's not talking with a parent. She talks to them and gives them hugs and stuff. They really work on the kids making eye contact when they talk and answering when someone speaks to them. I told Kevin that Kaelyn seems to be showing more affection since she has started school. I'm not sure I had ever heard her (if she did it was rare) say "I love you" without her just repeating it after we said it to her or if we told her to say it. I've heard her on several occasions now telling various toys or us that she loves us. After we "talked about school" Thursday, she climbed on my lap and put her arms around me and said, "Oh I love you so much Mommy!" I know that probably sounds like a really little thing to most of you but it was pretty big to me. So, once again, Yeah for school! :) If you think of it, say a prayer for us that I will get over this flu soon, that Kay's cough will completely go away, and that Kevin doesn't get it. He's been doing pretty much anything that's been getting done around here - bless him!


I couldn't get much done Monday because Kaelyn wanted
to be held. I finally let her watch video clips of songs from
Disney movies on youtube because I really needed to get
supper going.


Then when her Daddy got home, he helped her play
some things on the computer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww. . . I hope you get to feeling better soon, and I am so happy that school is helping Kaelyn out so much!

The Taylors said...

Well, ditto Bethany, she pretty much said what was on my mind. :-) THinking about you and missing you today.

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean. I was so thrilled the other day when JB said "zip up" and added the p sound. Such a little thing but so hard for him. He had never been able to say it before.