Thursday, February 26, 2009

He asked, she said "Are you serious?"

On Feb. 24 five years ago, Kevin asked me to marry him. Every year since then, on the 24'th, we go back down to the place where he proposed and then usually have dinner. This year we combined that with a late Valentine's dinner but before I show you the pictures from that, maybe I should tell you just a bit of what happened that fateful eveing. :) Kevin had moved down to Fl temporarily since he traveled for his job anyway. He came down to the school where I taught one afternoon. He was dressed up in a suit and had gone into my apt. and got a dress and some dressy shoes. When my fellow Hobe Sounder co-workers came to bring me the clothes, they discovered that the dress was wrinkly and I really needed pantyhose for the shoes he brought. So... Sharron Teed ran around looking for an iron and finally made do with the de-wrinkle cycle on an old dryer at the school while Lora Gray ran down to a CVS on the corner and got me hose. (That has little significance to the proposal but I think it adds more interest to the story.) Then as soon as I got into Kevin's car, he blindfolded me so I wouldn't know where we were going. (One of my co-workers got to drive my car without AC home that day - bless them!) We arrived at the Breakers hotel in West Palm Beach where very rich people vacation and very poor people walk around and try not to gape at how beautiful and ritzy it is. Kevin told me that he knew I had been having a stressful week so he thought we would just walk around (yes, it's beautiful enough to just walk around and look at) and then go somewhere for dinner. (Yes, I was suspicious). We were out looking at the water and Kevin said, "Look at those people down there. What are they doing?" (as if they were doing something weird) I looked around but couldn't figure out what he was talking about. He said, "All the way down there" and by the time I turned back around, he was down on one knee holding the ring out. He told me how much he enjoyed being with me etc. and then asked me to marry him. I maybe should just end the story here on a romantic note but since my title already gave it away, I said [as romantically as I could of course] "Are you serious?" That wasn't the exact response I was supposed to give so Kevin asked me again after a few seconds and of course I said "yes". After that we walked back inside the motel and I found out that Kevin had made reservations at the upscale French restaurant there. We had a five course, $125 dollar a person french meal! Of course after that we called family and friends. When we got back to my apt. that evening, Kevin asked me if my evening was everything I could have hoped for and of course it was - but he wasn't done. When I opened the door to my apt, there were a dozen roses with a card sitting on a chair and then rose petals scattered all over the furniture, floor etc. (It was an efficiency and so it was all one room as soon as you walked in.) Kevin was like, "I'll vacuum them all up for you if you want". :) He knew that I was quite particular about things being clean but of course I didn't mind. I just thought it was funny that he said that. We go back to the Breakers every Feb. 24'th. Two years we have packed a picnic and eaten it out on the lawn right near where he proposed (people staying at the motel have actually stopped and asked us where we got the picnic stuff and if you could get it through the motel) :) A couple of the years we have had Kaelyn in tow and last year we ate (an appetizer and soup) at one of the "cheaper" restaurants there, which is still WAY overpriced. This year, since it was five years, Kevin wanted to eat in one of the more inexspensive restaurants there but after some persuasion from me, we just walked around, took pictures, then went somewhere that we had gift cards for. Ahhh - true love! :) We both feel thankful for the past five years even with its ups and downs and wouldn't do anything differently!


This was a self-portrait out by the ocean.


It was out along this walkway where he proposed.


This was the restaurant that we ate at (five years ago)


This is a shot of the dining area.


Another self-portrait out front.


Some of the beautiful landscaping - and me. :)


A genereal idea of what [part of] the front looks like.


Fountain out front.


The two of us out front near the entrance of the
Breakers Hotel.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

How cool!and what a beautiful place.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! and how sweet

Leah & Jon said...

Enjoyed the pictures! I still remember how amazed we all were that Kevin snuck in and out of Massena to talk to Daddy without any of us knowing!

Betty said...

Very Pretty place. Never been there myself. Glad you celebrate every year!It's kind of a neat thing to do.