Thursday, January 17, 2013

ESE Christmas Party - and Germs :-)

If I recall correctly, the last time that I posted about one of Kaelyn's school Christmas parties was back in 2009.  She was still in an ASD pre-school class in Jensen Beach and the teacher asked me if I wanted to go to the party.  So though I'm repeating myself somewhat, it's from several years ago.  
The Knights of Columbus in our county hold a Christmas party every year for all the special education classes of any type for all of the schools in Martin County.  Kaelyn has gone every year since pre-school but this was the first time I had been back since her first year attending.  The last couple school years, Kaelyn has said several times that she wished I could go on field trips. I finally did the necessary paper work and background check this year so that I could go along as a chaperon when her class goes on field trips.  The Christmas party was pretty much the same as it was when I went with her before but it's just such a nice time for the kids and there is quite a bit of money and effort that is put into it.
They start out by serving pizza, drinks, and then ice cream sandwiches to everyone.  Every child has a coloring book and crayons at their place so they can color while they wait.  Or they can walk around and visit different characters.  They have people dressed up as Frosty, Rudolph, and the Grinch.  They get to go up and see Santa and he gives them each a gift bag that is filled with all kinds of goodies:  a disposable camera (those are always a huge hit with the kids), candy, paddle balls, $5 in an envelope to develop the camera etc.  I'm not sure how they raise the funds or how much it all costs but I certainly have a lot of respect for how much they put into it!

Kaelyn eating her [first piece of] pizza


For some reason, though Kaelyn likes to see almost any character having to do with anything no matter where we're at, she is still really hesitant about Santa.  She barely got close enough and sat long enough for a picture before she popped up and was out of there.  :-)


She LOVES the classic Rudolph story and all things Rudolph right now - still - even after Christmas.  And of course by now you know that when I say she loves something, that pretty much means it's a bit of an obsession/fascination at the moment.  But I digress - So this was pretty much her favorite thing about the whole party - getting to see Rudolph.  But that's okay because she sure does look adorable in this picture!      
:-)


Coloring while waiting for the ice cream sandwiches.


Kaelyn and Ross


Kaelyn and Mommy


They all got these adorable headbands in their gift bags.  Kay wore hers several times throughout the season.  There were several different characters in the different gift bags.  Ross had a reindeer one.  They were cute too but I didn't realize that he had them on backwards before I took the picture.  :-)


Kaelyn talked Ross into getting a picture with her with the snowman.  Actually, I don't think that she really had to do much talking.  He usually listens to her pretty willingly.  :-)


I love the Grinch in all his "grinchosity" so once everyone was leaving so I didn't feel silly following him around with a crowd of 15 other little kids, I got a quick picture.
You like my new word, don't you?  GRINCHOSITY.  I think the word could be used for other people at other times and places perhaps.  :-)

So we rode the bus back to the school and got to go home a little early... and then I got a really bad 2-week  flu bug (probably from the bus or a kid), gave it to Kevin, who had to go see the Dr. before we left for our trip, and then Kay finished it off with a milder version of what we had.  And we all lived happily ever after with our coughs, fevers, antibiotics, and cold medicine.  And Mommy, while happy she was able to join Kaelyn and all the other children at the nice party, decided maybe she will dress as if going in for surgery if she attends the Christmas party next year!   :-D

No comments: