Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sailin' and Eatin'... and Stalling

We decided to make our first "real" voyage by boat to go have dinner at a restaurant down in Jupiter last Friday night.  By car, it is a fifteen to twenty minute drive.  By boat - our really slow boat - it took about an hour and fifteen minutes.  Not that I'm complaining, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride down and back.  We had a couple mechanical mishaps - once when we arrived at the restaurant and then again when we arrived back home at 12:15 in the morning.  When Rod went to cut the engine as we got close to the docks both times, the engine stalled and the boat wouldn't restart.  It was quite an adventure.  Let's just say it's a good thing Rod had thought to throw an oar into the boat.  I really wish I had pictures of Rod rowing this huge old boat over to their dock.  It wasn't nearly as embarrassing though, as the first time we stalled and a little fishing boat had to help tow us up to the dock at the restaurant.  That was AFTER we about drifted into the side of this giant yacht that was docked nearby.  We were an oar away from scraping up against the side as Kevin bravely kept us a mere few inches away by holding the oar up against the yacht.  You know how helpful I am in stressful situations since I laugh when I am nervous, embarrassed, etc.  I snapped right into action and started giggling (I was mostly hiding my [nervous] giggles. By the time it happened again when we all got back home, we were all so tired that we were laughing, not to mention someone singing, "Row, row, row your boat".  I knew at the time that we would find the whole incident hilarious someday and I am laughing right now just thinking about the whole thing.  I think a second battery should take care of the issue if I understood Rod correctly.  Anyway, mishaps aside, it was an awesome time!  Beautiful weather, great dinner, and lovely scenery.
 
Kaelyn and Megan playing on the ride down.
 

Kevin and Rod
 

Zach, Betty, Jess, and myself.  Andrea had a friend from school with her and they were up top.
 

Kaelyn was thrilled to find a net on board and happily pretended to capture her pals for a good part
of the time.  :-)
 

Jess checking out the menu at Bubba Gump's.  Notice the Jupiter lighthouse in the background.
 

 
Loved this place!  Right on the water, great view of the lighthouse, and delicious seafood.

 


Our view from where we sat to eat.
 

My food - had to get a picture of my "volcano" of food.  It was cajun mahi mahi and shrimp and mashed potatoes.  The things sticking up were the potato stick thingys (not sure what they are actually called and too lazy to google it).
 

 
We walked around and took some pictures before we attempted to start the boat to go home.  It started right up and all went smoothly up until the very end when we got back to our canal.


1 comment:

Lynette said...

Looks like fun and I had a giggle as well . Better luck next time.