Monday, July 23, 2012

Swim Lessons

Kaelyn has done swim lessons for most of the summer now.  The classes are two week classes at a time.  She goes for 30 minutes Monday - Thursday mornings.  We kept re-enrolling her every two weeks so that she would continue to learn and get better at it.  She still could use more lessons but she has made great progress and is a lot more comfortable in the water than she was before she started.


The whole class practicing holding onto the wall and kicking their feet.



Waiting her turn to do one of the exercises.



By the second week of the second class, she was able to put her face under water and swim to the teacher (as long as she's wearing goggles).  She can't hold her breath for very long periods of time and she hasn't learned how to keep swimming when she lifts her head out of the water to take a breath.



Practicing with the kickboard.



Getting ready to swim on her own over to the instructor.





Her teacher showing her how to make "big" arm motions.



Cutie.  She saw that I was taking pictures so she had to stand up and look at me and pose for me.




Floating on her back.  She was so afraid when they first started to learn this but now she lays back on her own and floats around even when we're in our pool,





One day, she kept standing up at the top of the steps every time it wasn't her turn rather than sitting on the steps in the pool like she's supposed to.  When I asked her after class was over why she didn't sit down, she said, "Well, I just wanted to see the world and I wanted the world to see me!".   :-D  I sternly told her that next time she needed to sit down with the other kids like she was supposed to but I was quite amused with her.




She wanted me to take pictures of her one day - one with Garmin and one with Kecky.   I have felt sheepish many days with various pals sitting "with me" up on the bleachers.  And she makes sure they are out where they can watch her and turned in the correct direction facing the pool.


No comments: