Thursday, July 9, 2009

Kentucky

On the last day that we were up North in June we went to see where Daniel and Rebecca Boone were buried, to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, to a game farm, and then to the Claudia Sander's restaurant. You'll have to forgive me for all the pictures I'm posting because I love history but some of you may find some of these boring.
Daniel and Rebeccca were originally buried in Missouri near their farm there but in the 1840's, the state of Kentucky offered to re-bury them and erect a monument overlooking the city of Frankfort. It apparently caused quite an argument between Missouri and Kentucky but members of the Boone family agreed to it. According to articles I read, the place where they were buried in Miss. had been let go and was overgrown and run down. There is still debate over whether the right remains were dug up - but I suppose it's the thought that counts. :) Anyway, the location of the monument is beautiful. You can see the capitol building in Frankfort from the cemetery. There are also many other statespeople from KY buried there and a special monument for U. S. soldiers who fought in all the wars thus far. (Now aren't you glad for that little history lesson?)
The other pictures you'll see in this post are from the Vietnam War Memorial for Kentuckians. The memorial is really, really cool because of what it does. The following is information given about the memorial on a website: "The design concept is in the form of a large sundial. The stainless steel gnomon casts its shadow upon a granite plaza. There are 1,100 names of Kentuckians on the memorial, including 23 missing in action. Each name is engraved into the plaza, and placed so that the tip of the shadow touches his name on the anniversary of his death, thus giving each fallen veteran a personal Memorial Day.
The location of each name is fixed mathematically by the date of casualty, the geographic location of the memorial, the height of the gnomon and the physics of solar movement. The stones were then designed and cut to avoid dividing any individual name. The resulting radial-concentric joint pattern suggests a "web", symbolic of the entangling nature of this war. " I figured that would explain it better then I could. Of course when we were there the shadow fell across the names of men who had died in the month of June. Very cool idea for a memorial I thought. So now that you've had your history lesson for the day, here are some pictures:


This was heading down the path to the DB memorial.


A view of the capitol building in Frankfort from
the cemetery.


And there you have it. :)



I don't know why we look so happy to be in
a cemetery. :)




This was a monument for all the soldiers from KY
from all the branches of the military.



Vietnam Veteran's Memorial


Items left at the memorial.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shadow thing is a really cool touch to the memorial.

My word is nonflow...and I think we can all figure that on out.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I LOVE the family pic at the top.

Leah & Jon said...

See history lessons are always better from a good/interesting teacher!

The sun dial thing is intteresting because I always kind of wondered how those things worked.

I also found the part about the remains maybe not even being the right ones kind of funny! Not like it really matters much by now I guess. I can't believe there was much to dig up (bodies OR caskets!)'cause I'm sure the methods back then weren't quite as good at preserving.

P.S.
Amy, they must have run out of random words, so now they're just using negative forms of words - uncent is mine. . .

Becky said...

Thanks Amy. As you can tell, poor Kay-Kay was not excited to be at the fireworks but we survived it. And Leah, I'm glad you found my history lesson interesting. :)
I just love verification words. Half the time I giggle and read them out loud but don't figure anyone else would find it as funny as I do. :)